Re: CallTheShots.com

Author:Brian Carnell
Posted:11/17/1999; 10:20:21 AM
Topic:CallTheShots.com

Good point -- and don't forget the Grateful Dead were making money by basically giving away their music long before anyone though of the MPEG standard.

Do popular music groups even make most of their money off of records? It might be an extreme example, but based on the buying habits of the 12-year old girl next door I suspect the Backstreet Boys make far more revenue on their merchandising than on their music (probably because the merchandise is of higher quality than their music).

BTW, the MP3 format has caused me to increase my CD buying rather than diminished it -- but I don't pirate illegal MP3s so I might be in the minority there.

The same thing goes for writing and the other media forms as wellby the way -- you can use the reputation garnered on the Internet to sell ancillary products. I've been working, for example, on using the reputation I've been building in a couple of areas to garner speaking engagements and other sorts of business opportunities.