Re: RSS Issues: Comments requested

Author:Jonathan Eisenzopf
Posted:11/17/1999; 2:15:18 PM
Topic:RSS Issues: Comments requested

Again, I hate to limit what people can do, but I would also hate to see RSS fragment to the point of uselessness. Agree? Disagree?

I definately agree. I am very concerned about this very issue. There are some inclusions that seem to make sense, like a date element for each item, but some others, like a stock symbol, that don't apply as much.

However, there are several issues that I'm concerned about:

  • That the RSS spec continue to evolve in a useful manner.
  • That the RSS spec remain simple
  • That a concensus is reached on a recommended method of extending the format, while maintaining backward compatibility.

    I'm really concerned about the last item. I agree that adding arbitrary elements could be a very bad thing for the wide acceptance of the format.

    While you can't validate the elements you import via a namespace with a regular validating parser (as Ken noted), it is a good way to sematically separate the core RSS elements from the ones that are local to a particular use. Another advantage to using namespaces is that it reduces the possibility of namespace clashes if everyone starts extending RSS. So, as Ken mentioned, you could have:

    in the same file and the RSS core still remains intact.