Re: Localization of 6.1?

Author:Mike Murry
Posted:12/7/1999; 10:43:39 AM
Topic:Localization of 6.1?

David,

Thanks. You understand completely what I'm trying to do. I think my mention of ColdFusion is throwing everyone for a loop. GridBox will (eventually) let you hook into CF, but you can use it all by itself. And if someone setup a similiar coding standard in ASP, GridBox could hook into that as well. I'm more concerned, personally, with CF because that is what I use every day at work. There are times when I'd rather write code in Frontier and hook it into something I've wriiten in CF. It would be so much easier if there was a framework to build apps around.

This is in no way a knock on any of Userland's coding practices. I learned to build MR apps by studying their code, and all of that is being incorporated into GridBox. But there are times when things are confusing.

For example, I've built all my apps to store the data in discuss.root (or another GDB with the same kind of structure) and used a custom version of openRoot() to get to the data. Yesterday while working on the sample app for GridBox, I decided to do things like they're done in Manila sites and store the data with the website. I opened up the new mainresponder.discuss.openroot() to see how it's done. But its pretty much the same as its always been. Now I'm lost. I did finally figure it out, but it took a little time. All I want is to not have to worry about things like this. I want some specs that say "to do this, do that." If the specs change that's Ok because I know where to find the answer.

And David is right. No one has to use this. I started this to make my life easier. Sharing it seemed like the right thing to do.