Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/8/1999; 2:18:03 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Important survey: "How does the performance of Scripting News compare to the performance of other Internet services?"

Another important survey: "A lot has changed in the last week. Now, after the changes, do you have a better idea of what UserLand does?"

Danny O'Brien: "Either that's an inhuman attention to change logs, or Manila is just Dave with Notepad, an open ftp client and a crate of Jolt." Excellent!

A nice-looking travel website.

China Job Search, find a high-tech job in China.

ViewFromTheHeart, Ramblings of an Old Critical Care Nurse.

Ken Dow is working on docs for Manila and posting them as he goes on the Manila-Newbies site. Links to new articles:

  1. Membership and roles
  2. Messages, stories and pictures
  3. Site customization
  4. Site administration
  5. How a story is served

Check out this Manila site. It's so excellent!

The WAP website has a new design.

Marc Canter: "The best part about starting my Manila site was getting yelled at by somebody about me posting porno." Hey whoever yelled at Marc, that wasn't porno. A nice looking woman with no shirt on. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Wired: Andover strikes it rich. "Andover sold four million shares for US$18 each, the top of its expected price range. The company netted $72 million through a process known as a Dutch auction."

Wired becomes Wired, once again. It's funny that one gets sentimental about a URL, but I do.

Speaking of Wired, here's their call for submissions for their 1999 Vaporware of the Year awards.

Day 2 at Builder Live in New Orleans. "People seem pretty quiet, really. I expected things to be a bit more fun--perhaps it is the larger size of the show this year."

Miloslav Nic: Wireless Markup Language Tutorial.

I wonder if InfoWorld has seen a decrease in traffic since their redesign? I don't think I've read a single article on their site since they changed.

WSJ: Ad agencies and Dot-coms. "Our culture is that we’ll try this today and try something new tomorrow," says a spokeswoman for Drugstore.com. "Nobody has a road map, so we’re all innovating and coming up with new approaches."

Here's a dot-com startup that probably knows what it's doing.

Here's a really nice looking Manila site.

Wired: Second Stab at Linux Riches. "For developers who shelled out US$5,600 for 400-share blocks at the $14 IPO price, the deal probably seemed fair and then some. Red Hat closed at $284.13 Tuesday, so the initial investments are now worth $114,000."

The Cluetrain Weblog keeps on rollin down the track!

Lots of links about the ill-fated Mars Polar Lander on Dome News.

PowderLog is the snowboarder's weblog. Welcome!