Re: There's more than One Way to Market Content Mgmt Software

Author:Stephen Judd
Posted:12/13/1999; 7:14:51 PM
Topic:There's more than One Way to Market Content Mgmt Software

Amen. Mostly.

To be scrupulously fair, the Vignette folks spend a LOT of time thinking about scaling and architecture.

For 999 sites out of a 1000, you will not need 2 big Sun honkers for webservers, another for Oracle, another to run a CMS on, and firewalls galore, plus the same again for a test environment, and a scaled down one for development. But if you are that 1000th site AND you don't care how many 0s there are on the end of the licensing cost, Story Server is for you. There are legitimate reasons to favour Story Server, but they don't apply to most sites.

Also, I wouldn't characterise purchasers of Story Server as stupid. (Disclaimer - those stupid people are paying me right now). "Overly conservative" is how I would put it. The ones funding my contract work at a telco - 'nuff said.

Stephen