Can't call it the web if it's not HTTP

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/19/1999; 7:57:54 AM
Topic:How to start WAPping

Thanks Lawrence for the pointers.

My opinion only, but you can't call it the web if it's not HTTP.

WAP is a supposed standard that allows Internet servers to send information to wireless devices. But the standard is fractured, and the wireless device vendors are confused.

The confusion can be abated. Optimize existing standards of the net, XML and HTTP and do it transparently to web developers. I should be able to put an HTTP server on port 80 and have the same content as easily browsed by MSIE 5 and a wireless cell-device.

The first vendor that does it this way will grab the whole market instantly.

In my humble opinion, of course.

Meanwhile, watch out for AOL. All the standards-oriented web developers focus their attention on Microsoft.

A disturbing thing. All the holiday TV ads now not only mention the web URL for sites, but also AOL keywords. Ooops. How much do you have to pay to get a keyword on AOL? They cost more than $35 a year, I'm sure. Many times more. Orders of magnitude more.

Even worse, try going to Netscape.Com. You get a popup window that urges you to get onto AOL. Let that sink in. The pioneer of the Web is trying convert you to a closed system.

Hey on Friday I met with Yusuf Mehdi, MSN's top marketing guy. I asked Yusuf a question about browsers. "Microsoft fought so hard for dominance in browsers. Now that you have it, why not do something interesting with it?"

Oddly enough, because of the way they invested, Microsoft has more to gain from wild growth in the web, than in a proprietary interface. AOL doesn't really have a developer program. Neither does Microsoft (for web developers) but either of them could.

Interesting times. A flip-flop in progress?