Re: Can't call it the web if it's not HTTP

Author:Gary
Posted:12/21/1999; 5:14:20 PM
Topic:How to start WAPping

From a friend I forwarded it to:

This person is as confused as I think everyone else is about WAP. The same content will be browsed using IE 5 as a wireless cell device, the content will simply be expressed differently (WML vs HTML) on the same port (80), using HTTP. You can use an HTML browser on a 3x12 character phone - MS has one - but it is not pretty. Nor is the HTML that you need to rework to make it look decent. "HTTP is not WAP", but HTTP isn't HTML either. WML or Wireless Markup Language. So I guess he should have said "HTML isn't WML" WML is XML, it has a DTD and everything. The WAP standard includes optimizing XML, in fact it uses a standard XML tokenizer for optimization. Mike