Re: How to start WAPping

Author:Andrew Herron
Posted:12/21/1999; 4:58:24 PM
Topic:How to start WAPping

Hi Dave,

Yes I would certainly get Andre a Nokia 7110 WAP mobile phone as a top priority...these should start to be widely available in January in Bonn. As Andre is located in Germany he is in a fantastic position to become your WAP expert. We are located in the UK and would be pleased to help out in any way we can to get Andre and yourself up to speed on WAP and related topics.

I would suggest downloading the Nokia WAP SDK from Nokia's site as a first step. There is a public beta and a private under NDA only version of the WAP SDK - ideally I would suggest you get the private NDA version as it is much more complete and stable. To do this Andre should get in touch with a Nokia representative in Germany (I will try and find out via Nokia in the UK who is the right person to contact) to get NDA's in place (they only cover the SDK and it's development). I would also suggest that he downloads the Phone.com WAP SDK as well to familiarise him self with their microbrowser etc.

In terms of Frontier/Manilla I would like to see the ability to build server side WAP applications that leverage the power of Frontier's scripting environment. It would something more than just outputting WML equivalents of Web pages (although that would be relevant in some cases) but utilising the power of Frontier to build true interactive applications that are delivered into peoples pockets. That's the exciting part of all this - and Frontier really is uniquely equipped for this role.

Andrew