Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/26/1999; 6:26:43 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

CNN: Curtis Mayfield Dies. He was 57.

CDNOW has an MPEG clip of Superfly. "Darkness of night with the moon shining bright. There's a set going strong. A lot of things going on.."

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice.

Rhino.Com biography of Mayfield.

My Favorite Manila Sites. This is a tour, a list of sites I read regularly. Here's an invitation for you to do your own tour of Manila sites you respect, I've even started a Tours page with room for more than one.

Yesterday we crossed the 1000-site milestone on EditThisPage.Com. There are now 1074 sites. As one logger said we're a victim of our own success! We're working on ways to boost performance. There's no other way to do it.

Remembering the canonical application for client-side includes, I implemented a text hit counter. You're welcome to use it on your site. It was pretty easy, took about 10 minutes.

I updated my Blogger home page to see how it handles day-flips. (It has a text hit counter.)

A DaveNet piece in progress includes a Nilsson song: "Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime, sister had another one, she paid it for the lime. She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up. She call the doctor woke him up, and said Hey doctor! Ain't there nothing I can take to relieve this belly-ache? Doctor say Now let me get this straight. You put the lime in the coconut and drank them both up, you called the Doctor woke him up and say Doctor ain't there nothing I can take to relieve this belly-ache? You put the lime in the coconut and drink them both together, then you feel better, you put the lime in the coconut and drink them both together and call me in the morning."

Time names Albert Einstein person of the century. "A man whose very name is synonymous with scientific genius, Einstein has come to represent more than any other person the flowering of 20th century scientific thought that set the stage for the age of technology."

Einstein is the perfect choice. A response to Hitler (he was a Jew), and (as they said) a precursor to the age of technology. It's also an international choice, Einstein was from Europe, not the US. And it shows appreciation for thought, which is something that's (imho) underappreciated in the times we live in. Too much focus on how much money one has (Bezos, Gates) and less focus on living life in our real power, the power of the intellect. But Einstein wasn't just a brilliant mind, he was courageous, he had the will to imagine the universe outside the bounds of our little planet. He taught us to understand our context, not just focus on the little picture.

FDR and Gandhi were Time's runner-ups. Both are excellent choices, but I would have chosen Women as the sole runner-up for Person of the Century. This century saw a new balance between the genders and along with it, massive change. It can be hard to appreciate how substantial the change was, since most of us were born after the shift started. There's even a technological reason -- birth control.

Over on Qube Quorner they're taking apart the cute blue boxes and adding all kinds of stuffff.

News of a baby being born on Scott Hanson's website. I was just getting the feeling of family, as I was catching up on my favorite WLM sites. Can't get much more familiar than this!

Looks more and more like Cocoon is reinventing the wheel. Why don't they use Zope??