Dreamweaver != NetObjects Fusion

Author:Sam Yates
Posted:1/5/2000; 9:27:34 AM
Topic:Dreamweaver != NetObjects Fusion

In the "ToolTime" article on Scripting News today, the other (IMHO) erroneously lumps together Dreamweaver and Fusion as being wannabe "Desktop Publishing" apps for the Web.

While I agree that the average person looking to get ideas out via the web would not want a tool like either of these. I think it does Dreamweaver a major disservice to lump the two of those together.

Dreamweaver is *very* good tool for the audience to which it is targeted -- serious web designers/developers who want a tool to help them create cutting edge web sites, not newbies doing "My First Web Site" or Photoshop gurus who want everything laid out perfectly down to the pixel level on each page. Plus, with some of the tools developed by people in our community, Dreamweaver may make a very viable front end to a content management system like Frontier/Manila.

I just hate to see comparisons and generalizations of this nature. To me it sounds like saying that QuarkXPress and MS Word both make really lousy spreadsheets. Not only are the two applications wildly different (although like Fusion and Dreamweaver they share some common attributes), but neither are intended for use as a spreadsheet (just as web design tools are not primarily intended to be a tool for "authors"), even though they may have some features that could serve as a rudimentary one.