Feature Requests for DG

Author:Oliver Breidenbach
Posted:1/6/2000; 5:04:27 AM
Topic:Your favorite web-based DG interfaces?

Hi there,

I'll chime in as I am currently evaluating the possibility of doing my own DG in Frontier.

Here are the booby-traps I fall into and possible solutions in order of priority:

1) The date roll-over. Bad Idea. Now why is it bad? Being around (almost at least) the globe, I always miss yesterdays posts. How about listing all new message since I last visited the Board? The same goes for the topics list. We should see, say, the n last topics in addition to all topics that I have contributed to.

2) I *always* want to see all that has been said in a particular thread. Please add some way to see the threads structure at all times. It is a pain to navigate back up the hierarchy to get into a different branch. I think "outliner" is the magic word here...

3) Message Header information is not very useful to ME(!). What do I care what number the current message is? The next and previous links, most of the time, have nothing to do with the thread I am in. Maybe we need some sort of 2D navigation system. One goes in chronological order, the other in thematic order.

4) If I post something, I should get notified when someone answers. I tend to forget which threads I contributed to. May not apply to omnipotent beings, though. ;-)

5) Make it customisable in Appearance! Please!

I would love to come up with my own implementation, but that is going to take some time until I've learned the plumbings of Manila and Frontier. Any pointers are appreciated.

Cheers,

Oliver.