Windows-only ETP from Allaire

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:1/6/2000; 11:34:10 AM
Topic:HTML Renderer in the MacOS

From Allaire's Spectra white paper:

Anywhere Authoring empowers business users to directly create and manage content in the Web site without intervention or involvement from IT or HTML developers. This is accomplished through two breakthroughs introduced in Allaire Spectra. The first is the ability of business users to directly activate content for changes and additions directly from within the site itself. This in-context editing model provides users with a set of UI controls directly in a site’s pages. For instance, if marketing users owned the news section of an enterprise portal, they would simply navigate through the site to the page where they owned content. The page would know this user has the authority to perform changes, and would offer the user a set of UI controls to perform their work.

ETP, with a fancier name.

The second breakthrough is the introduction of a simple, rich-text HTML editor that can be used directly in a browser. Combined with simple forms-based applications built by developers, business users can easily contribute new HTML content without having to work in a separate HTML production environment such as FrontPage or Microsoft Word, and without having to know or write HTML code.

This is what Dave is referring to- Allaire will get a lot of Business (read: non-technical) users with this- they like to do their colors and bold and italic content right on the page. Without something like this on the Mac, it's going to get left behind.

Which is sad. It's totally possible, and this is a situation where MS happens to have picked the right widget to provide. I don't know why they won't or can't provide it to Mac users, though. It seems convenient to write their own versions of Apple's system stuff (buttons, menus, etc.) when it suits them, but then point to Apple for this functionality. *Sigh*.

So what Do people want? An Apple-provided HTML renderer which is exactly like MSIE's? MS's renderer on the Mac OS? Say Apple deals with MS for their browser control: What happens when MS changes it, updates the extyension/DLL on my system with the next innocent IE download, and suddenly I can't read my system Help files? Not only can MS change their browser and break the websites I visit, they can break my system help, application help... what else?

I'm honestly not trying to be an idiot- Apple/MS make me cranky some days.

--Steve