Re: Windows-only ETP from Allaire

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/6/2000; 11:44:55 AM
Topic:HTML Renderer in the MacOS

So what Do people want? An Apple-provided HTML renderer which is exactly like MSIE's? MS's renderer on the Mac OS? Say Apple deals with MS for their browser control: What happens when MS changes it, updates the extyension/DLL on my system with the next innocent IE download, and suddenly I can't read my system Help files? Not only can MS change their browser and break the websites I visit, they can break my system help, application help... what else?

Are you kidding!

Microsoft can't break HTML, they would hurt themselves the most if they did. In any case you'd better hope they don't do it, for reasons more important than accessing system help files. People do their banking via the web now. Slightly more mission-critical than reading help files. ";->"

If I were Apple, I'd:

1. Do the deal with MS.

2. Launch my own internal development project to clone MSIE.

3. Pour money and resources into Mozilla.

4. Pour money and resources into any other company doing HTML rendering.

In other words, make the best of a bad situation and hedge hedge hedge.

Ignoring it won't make it go away.

BTW, right up there with improvements to the DG interface, among Manila users requests -- get rid of the HTML.

If you ask a Windows user if they care that the feature won't be available to Mac users they say they don't care.

That's the situation.