Re: Rant

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:1/6/2000; 6:46:05 AM
Topic:HTML Renderer in the MacOS

I reckon that there'll never be EditThisPage for Linux either since it seems, according to the rant, that it takes advantage of MS-only features.

An EditThisPage server will run only on an MS or Apple server because right now Frontier runs on only the MacOS or Windows. As far as clients go, the MacOS, Linux, and MS machines can administer and use ETP sites quite easily.

IE is a better browser than Netscape and supports things like CSS better than Netscape. This makes it more difficult for an ETP designer to design a site which looks exactly the way she wants it to in all the browsers.

IE5 also offers additional features which some vendors, like Pyra, take advantage of to make their products more useful.

On the MacOS IE is behind the capabilities of IE on Windows. Netscape sucks pretty hard on the MacOS, Linux, and Windows. The MacOS doesn't, or doesn't yet, include an HTML widgit in the OS.

(I like all the OSs, and I dual-boot between Linux and Windows. Now that I'm using mostly Zope and ETP, I'm really only productive using IE on NT. Were it not for the browser issue, I would be using Linux.)