Re: This bubble has already been burst

Author:wilcox@ptd.net
Posted:1/6/2000; 9:54:05 PM
Topic:HTML Renderer in the MacOS

0 I do really like the iDisk, since it's the easiest "internet disk drive" implementation I've seen for the Mac. But that's just me.

I've always thought that Apple should gut out the core of AppleShare, and replace it with an integrated FTP server/client in there. Make it open, easily accessible to _anyone_ on the web. Make it easy to set up and use - as easy as AppleShare right now.

Apple's gone file sharing over the internet, yes. Over TCP/IP, yes. But my PC friends can't see files on my drive (unless they fool around with NT's AppleTalk options)... :-(

I would think this would have the nice side effect of making more those "20-mg disk space free" sites accessible to the mac users.

You can talk about eye-candy (in the hardware, or in the software) all you want (and I must admit, I'm liking it too), but the word is COMPATABILITY. I want to access and use my files from anywhere - I want to remotely call programs on my mac from some PC (using rpc, I guess :) ). I want to fire up an FTP program and access my files. I don't want to think about it too hard. I just want to do it...

-r