Re: Your favorite DG interfaces? Navigation.

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:1/6/2000; 9:49:45 PM
Topic:Your favorite web-based DG interfaces?

NAVIGATION..............

Show the name of the top of the thread. Context for the current the message beyond, prev/next/replyto.

Feature escalation: simplest UI for the newbie is default, options to move up for power users.

reputation service. I like it when others vote. Today they're raw scores. Tomorrow they're input for a collaborative filter that scores messages by how trusted the contributor is and how much the post or thread reflects my tastes. Don't implement unless there is a way to keep the UI non-intrusive.

I concur on the aging comments: power to the user.

meta-DG browser: UI that would allow me to blend DG messages from multiple services into one common pool, sorted by thread or chron. Dave, you might like this feature so you don't have to go from site to site to see what's there and register. sign me in and get them for me. if i'm active in 4 different Linux DGs, maybe i can see patterns among them or act as a point of cross-fertilization among them. more valuable to me, i have one place to go for the community i care about, scattered as they are.

let me see all the posts by a person. i think this was an early feature of Profile. please bring it back. when i see a clever or unusual poster, the impulse that takes me to see more about her inclines me to read more of what she said.

mail interfaces. let me subscribe to a digest of a DG or email to the DG. make it easy for me to email a post to a friend.

ttfn. this is a late night post so we'll see if it gets read tomorrow. - phil