Re: Your favorite DG interfaces? Instant Messaging

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:1/7/2000; 10:12:05 AM
Topic:Your favorite web-based DG interfaces?

A note on Instant Messaging (posts on the subject. Figure out how to blend/augment IM with DG UIs.

This may be a generational thing. I see those under 21 (including some of my cousins) have spent 5 formative years of daily ICQ or AOL IM. It is the teenager's telephone with multitasking and multithreading. Arrange your weekend with friends, help with homework or parents. My cousins are mid-college age. Soon, getting friends to the polls for elections, to the blood drive (btw, SF Bay Area has a shortage), getting job leads, working around office politics (the new oldboy net?), customer service (the new toll free operator?).

Watch also for the convergence of Internet IM tools with IM pagers and mobile phones. IM is becoming ubiquitous.

Challenge: How does the web DG fit in this world? Archive? Launcher? Extended buddy list?