Re: Flash in Manilla? Perhaps SVG!!

Author:Andrew Wooldridge
Posted:1/22/2000; 1:49:43 PM
Topic:Flash in Manilla?

Flash is great - it really is. It's also a good enabling technology and I think it is getting folks ready for something else: SVG.

SVG is to Flash what HTML is to Microsoft's Blackbird language.

SVG is an xml syntax for describing vector graphics. Which means it's both text and graphic. So you can search SVG files, zoom them, etc. And they have a DOM so you can script them using javascript or VBscript.

Flash is great, but SVG is going to really make waves.

And I've seen implementations of SVG from several companies - it's as good as flash in many ways. Plus, imagine if your UI was created using SVG as well - imagine the clean fast downloads and great interactivity.

Given that manila talks xml already, I really think it will be a no-brainer for it to support SVG.

Also, SVG supports forms - like Flash recently started supporting - so you can have form widgets using SVG like pulldowns, etc. And it's all CSS styleable, so your UI can have the same look and feel as your page.

Plus SVG is and open standard - supported by IBM, Adobe, Macromedia, etc. etc.

Here's some links: http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/ http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/SVG-Implementations http://www.adobe.com/web/features/svg/main.html http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/svgview