Trust / Civility / ETP / Davos

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:1/22/2000; 3:44:07 PM
Topic:Trust / Civility / ETP / Davos

Like everyone else who loiters here, I've been imagining UserLand c.2002. A Geocities. A FrontPage. A Spectra. A TalkCity. A BigStep.

Of all the issues that underpine the cool things going on in UserLand, trust is the mortar.

Trust makes things work.

We trust UserLand (and others) will remain solvent so its products and services persist. (Something I've always wanted to see on sites that ask me to leave my content: what is your cash-on-hand divided by monthly-burn-rate.)

We trust services will be up. Always. Back at LSI Logic, I learned that our corporate intranet had become mission critical when an off-hour PM drove our Singapore sales reps nuts because they couldn't go on sales calls without downloading presentations. ETP got that message last week.

We depend on cordial behavior from visitors and site contributors. Failing this, we'll spend fortunes and time editing, policing, securing, bulletproofing; non-productive effort. Distrust turns something elegant into an AOL.

Content contributors expect content holders to respect privacy and intellectual property. For instance... I spend a lot of time on or around job boards because of my employer, an HR conglomerate. There is a strong move to use XML syndication to swap resumes among job boards, recruiters, and potential employers. This commoditizes my biography, test results, references, contact info, objectives, without my permission. see HR-XML.org.

Part of what makes ETP work is the sheer, vast openness of the idea. Someone trusts you to put up a web site. You can say what you want. Do it your way. We trust you. No censors. We're going to treat you like an adult.

I'd like Davos to hear: