Re: Give Democracy a Chance

Author:Jacob Savin

My attitude is that it's not possible to say you want a little bit less free speech. It's either free or it isn't.

I completely agree with you. There's a lot of button-pushing pontification I could do here, but I'll restrain myself. :)

McCain has made it clear (despite the Chron's efforts to bury it) that he uses the word only to describe those specific people who spent years torturing him. Fair enough, imo.

Fair enough. He certainly has the right to say anything he wants to. At the same time, I have the right to say what I want to, using my vote. I agree that both the Chronicle and the Examiner sensationalize his statements, and downplay his explanations about his use of the word. Even so, the fact that he made the statement at all raises doubts in my mind about his views on race and multiculturalizm generally.

Eric Brazil wrote in the Examiner article:

The comment came as McCain was discussing the fund-raising abuses of the Clinton-Gore campaign in 1996. He often refers to Vice President Al Gore's visit to the Hsi Lai Temple in suburban Los Angeles in April 1996, which turned into a fund-raising event. McCain, massaging the facts, says Gore claims not to know where he was, and usually remarks that the incense and people in saffron-colored robes should have given him a clue.

But in Fort Mill, McCain, apparently mixing up his words, said "all those funny looking people in robes" should have reminded Gore where he was. At subsequent stops, McCain reverted to his former version of the story.

I think this is interesting.

What I'm writing just goes for me personally, so please take it with a large grain of salt. I have great respect for the people who have served their country in the name of freedom and democracy, and I have no intention of, nor would I ever make light of the undoubtedly terrible experience it must have been for Senator McCain to endure imprisonment and torture as a POW.

I do, however, have the need to question whether his statements are reflective of a deep-seated personal belief about Asians and people of Asian descent (whatever the origins of the beliefs). I also have to question whether his experience as a POW could possibly taint his political interactions with Asian heads of state, and Asian Americans, were he to be elected President.

I admire his honesty. But if I interpret his statements as a reflection of his character (I'm still undecided), then he won't get my vote, regardless of his level of honesty.