scriptingNews outline for 2/25/00

Author:Dave Winer

We have the date for the first mini-Manila-festival. Mark your calendars. March 25 at De Anza College in Cupertino, CA. We've got a big lecture room, all afternoon, and lots of time to plan. No charge. Open to the public. Details coming soon.

TechWeb: Amazon Associates Plan Wins Patent Protection. "Patent No. 6,029,141, issued Tuesday, is granted for 'an Internet-based referral system that enables individuals and other business entities ('associates') to market products, in return for a commission, that are sold from a merchant's website,' according to the patent office website." Outrageous.

If you hate what Amazon is doing, as I do, here's how to respond when you get an email asking why it's been so long since you purchased anything from them. "If you want me to shop with you again, stop using patents as weapons against your competitors."

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos will be a guest on MSNBC's Summit in Silicon Valley, hosted by Tom Brokaw, airing on Sunday. They invite you to send questions in via email.

Hey I made #2 on Bloat. Having a great week. And I'm doing another tuneup of the HotList right now, as we speak. An amazing coincidence?

Milestone: surveys.userland.com is now a Manila site.

Very soon, possibly later today, we'll show you how to add surveys to your Manila site. We'll also show how the new plug-in architecture works, how developers can add commands that appear in the Editors Only menu, easily define legal macros that can be called from pages on a Manila site, even respond to incoming XML-RPC messages. This will make Frontier a more powerful web application development environment, one with a growing installed base of writers, designers and graphics people who are ready for innovation.

New site! webapps.editthispage.com.

David Carter-Tod: LDAP and Security in Manila.

Madison's Lifelog: "She happened to pick up on a word in a phrase I use often. The phrase was "that sucks" and the word she picked up was "sucks". Of course my wife and I started laughing, of which she thought was funny too. So to practice her new word, and make us laugh some more, she kept repeating it. It was quite hillarious."

Nice guys finish last. Nice site!

Feature request: Height, Width on