Re: Windows Or Mac Frontier, which is best?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/28/2000; 4:40:12 AM
Topic:Windows Or Mac Frontier, which is best?

Straight answer: If you want to run a Manila hosting service of any size you should run Frontier on NT. We're encountering serious load handling problems on Mac OS, probably due to an antiquated library we're using to do TCP on the Mac. I say probably because we don't know. Andre has just done a new build internally that uses a new library that connects to more modern (OpenTransport) TCP capability. Will this make it better? We won't know until we test it.

Frontier on the Mac is probably still more powerful than Frontier for Windows, though, in quite a few ways. A more mature base of scriptable apps is probably the largest advantage, and it's nothing to sneeze at. We still don't have a way to script WinZip on Windows for example, and the comparable functionality for the Mac is quite mature and easy.

But for straight Manila hosting and plug-in development, I would recommend NT or Windows 2000.