nmap

Author:Emmanuel M. Décarie
Posted:3/1/2000; 6:52:51 AM
Topic:nmap

Hello I'm a Linux newbie and I just discovered the powerful nmap.

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/

I made some tests with nmap to see if it can detect if a server is up or down scanning for port 80. It look that it can diagnose this. But I was wondering if what nmap report is sufficient or if I still should try to load a page from the server to check if the server is really functioning properly.

BTW, I know and use this nice Frontier suite that is designed to check if a server is up.

serverMonitor.root

http://samples.userland.com/stories/storyReader$59

TIA