Sun Server?

Author:Karl Martino
Posted:3/9/2000; 5:44:30 AM
Topic:Sun Server?

I hope they make XML-RPC a standard library included with their Java Servlet/JSP reference Tomcat. That would be sweet. I'm gonna look at a few of the libraries that have been posted to xml-rpc.com.

Lately we have been really digging into servlets at philly.com. Soon our newspapers will be published using a java servlet as the front end. inqtest.philly.com is a test site. It's running on a slow server if you take a look. It's just proof-of-concept. It's completely dynamic (although, through the magic of servlets, it's doesn't look that way at all).

The more interesting of thing about the newspaper site is the backend. For reasons I really can't get into, it would be awesome if there was an XML-RPC API available for the newspaper. We may set up something like this after we go live. I have been pushing for including it now, and using XML-RPC internally between the system's various components. It's a great glue protocol. It may not be the best in performance, but it appears to make things so much more reusable.

A line I keep repeating to my coworkers - The URL is the command line.

XML-RPC reminds me more and more of OLE for inter-app communication in Windows, or ODBC for databases. It almost makes sense that Microsoft has a role here. People look at MS as the 'evil empire'. Maybe true. People forget how open ODBC was and how enabling it was. A whole industry was built on it. XML-RPC is the same type of enabler. Hopefully SOAP will be too.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for your recent developments, from a developer point of view. I wish I could be at March25.