RE: DaveNet...thank you for it.

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/30/2000; 7:20:54 AM
Topic:DaveNet on Hiatus

IMO, if this happens, you should include (if possible) a CD with the book of all the music. One of my favorite parts of your writings has been the the theme songs--I found that I got more out of the columns when you said what you were listening to when you wrote them.

That's a good point, but the music industry seems to be in a very bad mood about the Internet. I would have hoped that by now they'd have jumped out of the plane, leaving the parachute behind, but instead they're fighting with the Internet in court, too bad so sad. The human heart, expressed through music, deserves the freedom to roam the wires of the net. I think it'll happen anyway, whether some judge says that the music can't flow, same with the patents.

BTW, another reason I pushed aside DaveNet is that now I need to clarify our relationship with the editorialists we host on UserLand.Com and affiliated sites. The exchange with Chris DiBona was another push. He pretty clearly had not heard of me or DaveNet. That's a shame, because if he had, I don't think the issues of integrity would have come up.

We watch the logs here, there's a lot of hits coming in on EditThisPage.Com, it's almost as big as Scripting News now. Add in Blogger sites and others that are sure to come in the next few months as other hosting services open, and it's pretty clear that the action is on the web. My job is to get Chris to send *me* an email saying "How can we participate?" I have to break the mold and put it back together in a bigger easier to quantify way.

I already feel the freedom, and the fear that comes from having jumped out the door!

BTW, we're in the final stages of bringing an entire print publication onto the web through Manila. I believe the switch has already been flipped, and the change is percolating through DNS now.

I'll let you know!

"davewinerimage"