Re: IE 5/ Mac - outliner finally possible

Author:Nicholas Riley
Posted:4/3/2000; 5:17:03 PM
Topic:IE 5/ Mac - outliner finally possible

Wow. This is incredibly cool. My favorite thing is being able to type in HTML source into the headings, just hit return, and see it instantly rendered. Would there be a way to do this with a text area instead of a field, so you could do the same thing with Web pages? That way you could enable a kind of "edit-in-place" when you go to "Edit This Page", and would be able to have a full HTML source editor.

The downside is speed... loading the page locally takes about 20 seconds on my G3/250. Perhaps Mozilla's JavaScript interpreter will be faster? I tried loading your outliner page there but it came up blank.

Unrelated, update on my work with Pike/Zope: I am attaching data to the headlines, and trying to keep it so that the data sticks with the headlines even if they are moved or renamed, which I keep track of through the refCon in Frontier, and through making each headline a separate object in the ZODB on the Zope side. The project I'm working on has a specific use for this, but I can think of a more generic one: cloning.

I wrote a simple script to generate unique IDs/refCons in Frontier, and apply them to the outline without changing the structure too much. I'll need to make some changes to the tabbed-headline format to incorporate unique ID data; probably at the moment I'll do something that base64 encodes the unique ID and sticks it before the tabs that indicate the level of the headline, but that's a bit inelegant. Structuring the XML-RPC message makes a lot more sense - I'm thinking about an XMLized version of dot-head format.

I ran into some limitations with the tree-viewer I'm using (it's the TreeWidget from the IDLE IDE), and so I spent a lot of time fixing it up this weekend. It still redraws the entire outline each time, but it flickers a lot less now because I only create Labels when necessary, for the rest of the items I just use text on a canvas. There's a nice "Edit in Zope" item in a contextual menu waiting to be hooked up, and I wish I could start ASAP, but homework intervenes. I'll try to get to it tomorrow or Wednesday. Sigh.

--Nicholas