Re: Mozilla is not a browser

Author:cameron@alphanumerica.com
Posted:4/12/2000; 2:05:52 PM
Topic:Mozilla is not a browser

Taylor brings up a good point about the public perception of Mozilla. Lots of people I know who are regular web users don't care a hoot about what Mozilla as an application framework can do. They only care about the web browser that is resulting from the Mozilla project. Currently, this browser is being touted as Netscape 6 PR1. It gets even more confusing when you realize that Netscape and Mozilla The Web Browser are virtually the same software.

Trying to build a Dreamweaver-like tool using Mozilla as a source code base isn't completely out of the question, though it's a very ambitious project. Alphanumerica is working on a cross-platform web-distributed script editor that has many of the same functions as BBEdit and HomeSite.

I'm sure Netscape's UI team is very aware of the numerous complaints about the UI and I'm sure they're working on a plan to solve many of the issues that have been brought over the past week.

Thinking of Mozilla as only a browser is pretty narrow-minded. From a web development point of view, it makes far more sense to see the browser component as just one part of what Mozilla can accomplish.

Microsoft showed us that it's possible to integrate the web browser with other computer applications, by inserting it into the Office 2000 suite and also attempting to integrate it into the actual desktop of the computer. In some sense, this isn't that different from what might be possible with Mozilla in the near future. This is why some people are labeling Mozilla as a "platform" instead of just a web browser.