Re: Mozilla is not a browser

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:4/12/2000; 3:11:22 PM
Topic:Mozilla is not a browser

If you want it to be a real application environment that isn't a memory hog or really slow, you need to get all those bits running in an object database. I was struck looking at the folder structure how much it looked like very early versions of Frontier. We could probably get you all the way there by integrating your rendering engine in Frontier or Pike, but first you (ie Netscape) would have to regain some market share, and to do that, you gotta be *just* a browser, imho.

Don't be HyperCard, trying to be all things to all people. At least HC had the advantage of being able to wipe out everything around it. Netscape does not have that advantage, it needs allies and supporters, so this is imho an ill-advised tack to take. Leave lots of room, and slap people on the wrist when they say silly things like "Mozilla will replace Dreamweaver and Pike." Shudder.

That's what they said about HC. It wasn't true, never happened, couldn't. Doubly true today.