Re: Why do artists have their own software companies?

Author:Bob DeLaurentis
Posted:4/20/2000; 1:21:10 PM
Topic:Why do artists have their own software companies?

Still another reason why writers do not have their own company: software companies that assume they already know how to write. But word processing is not writing, it is editing.

As a result, modern word processors are focused on reducing the easily visible, burdensome tasks once performed by secretaries. While the less visible, cognitive artistic activity of getting the words right is mostly a software-orphan.

My ultimate fantasy: A writer's word processor. It does not exist, but it could. Imagine if a group of talented software engineers were to create an app based on the input from professional writers who work in a variety of disciplines. The result could be a dream application, a PhotoShop for words.

Bob

P.S. The email address in the message header is incorrect, and I do not know how to change it.

It should be bob@robertdelaurentis.com