Re: Companies for writers

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:4/21/2000; 9:30:08 AM
Topic:Tools for writers

There are no real companies for writers because the wordprocessor has been around for so long. There is a barrier to entry. You need to get people to switch from what they know. Instead, we learn to fit your work to a wordprocessor, instead of a finding a word processor to fit our work.

OK, that's a common story. Word processors have so many features, there's a big barrier to entry.

But of course given enough years that barrier could be cracked. Personally, I think when the software industry is mature there will be several writer's software companies, as there are several artist's companies. A lot of writing goes on PCs. All writers basically use them.

People focus on the features. That's not entirely what it's about now that we're doing stuff on the web. It's also about associations. Watch as Adobe and Macromedia roll out web services for their users. I watch this stuff with lots of interest.

B2B.