Re: Tools for writers

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:4/21/2000; 9:39:16 AM
Topic:Tools for writers

Adobe holds one of the best the tech writing tools, framemaker. That and suppossedly learning TEX.

I wrote my thesis in LaTeX, using alpha. It was not the perfect envrionment, but it was good enough to get the thesis one without worrying if the program was going to screw it up. Notes, figures, equations, code snippets, bib references, everything worked.

At the time, I was threatening to write a LaTeX mode for frontier so that I could use the outliner and reflect the structure of the document in the outline. It wasn't a viable option then, due to the 255 char limit on outline items at the time. And I did like the syntak highlighting of alpha.

For what I was doing, it was a good fit. My code was written in alpha, my thesis was technical enough to require equations, and I needed a specific output format. Writing for LaTeX in alpha wasn't that much of a stretch.

eric