Intellectual Property

Author:cameron@alphanumerica.com
Posted:4/22/2000; 4:28:58 PM
Topic:Intellectual Property

I just finished reading a science fiction novel by Bruce Sterling called Distraction. In this book, set about 40 years in the future, the American economy is a disaster, the government is broke and helpless, and the American society has all but collapsed. The primary reason for this was the fact that sometime prior to this book's setting, the Chinese published all English-based intellectual property on their net servers, for anyone to read, use, steal, and copy. This one act basically demolished the American economy, which was based primarily on the revenue models surrounding intellectual property.

After reading this book, I started thinking about how fast our society is moving towards an information-based economy, and realized the scenario Bruce Sterling writes is very possible in the near future, despite it clearly being science fiction.

I'm unclear about the role intellectual property plays in our economy, but am aware that it does play some kind of role and does allow many people a source of revenue. Without intellectual property rights, many people would be out of a job. It's something to think about, at least.