Re: There are no flame-fests here

Author:Kate Adams
Posted:4/22/2000; 8:33:48 PM
Topic:There are no flame-fests here

Hi Dave,

I like Phil's idea, even though as you point out it has a Slashdot feeling (in the negative sense). It's unfortunate if Wes is being moderated down in that forum, but unless I'm not understanding something at least his postings are there and can be found if someone wants to find them.

I'd rather the stupid flames were kept, for some simple reasons: it's a good way for people to find out who they probably don't want to hang out with or bother to try to argue with. Flames also sometimes inspire the more thoughtful posters to react with their views, which are quite worthwhile. Also, sometimes someone flames you and you respond in kind and then they respond, then you...until some kind of concensus or at least an awkward truce is reached. I know this requires a lot of effort on your part but I always feel good when I see that kind of thread. And finally, every now and again on every discussion list I've been a part of, someone says something that gets misinterpreted. Deleting such postings doesn't give the author a chance to clarify herself (and quite possibly, apologize).

Just my selfish opinion,

-Kate