Re: Email to Brian Behlendorf

Author:Oliver Breidenbach
Posted:4/24/2000; 7:56:03 AM
Topic:Email to Brian Behlendorf

We're in a position to help each other if they would just take a look. I wouldn't be me if I didn't make an effort to point it out.

This sort of reminds me of the fight of the OpenDoc/CyberDog team with Netscape to get them to adopt OpenDoc. The solution would have been to write an OpenDoc container plug in for Netscape. Everyone could have done it. Same thing with Apache: if you need something in there, go and do it. That is the real beauty of Open Source. If you want it, it can be done - without the help of the principals of the software, if necessary. Sure, it takes your resources but if it doesn´t happen, you can´t really blame anyone else.

So, in order to get them interested, contribute! If your thing works, they´ll get interested. And they´ll also get it, when they see how it works. You may even get away with some sort of technology demo to show what you want done. A fake, even! (I know this is a revolting idea for an engineer...)

I am running a Frontier Server on a Mac (somewhat outdated). I want more performance, but I don´t want to pay Microsoft a dime for something you should take all credit for.

Cheers,

Oliver.