Re: Email to Brian Behlendorf

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:4/24/2000; 9:19:46 AM
Topic:Email to Brian Behlendorf

Oy yoy, this is expanding at an ever-increasing rate!

Let me focus. OK.

I want to be friends with Brian.

I want our communities to help each other.

Yes, I want to see open source software at both ends of the pipe. On the server and on the workstation. I also want to see commercial software at both ends of the pipe. And I want it on Mac and Windows and Unix.

I want to create a cloud of compatible software that lifts the web to the next level.

I will put some commercial software into that cloud and some open source software. What's the mix? TBD. I will not be the only one, or else the whole idea is a failure. I have to have lots of competition for it to work.

Apache should not try to meet the needs of writers, designers, graphics people.

I'm asking for a public relations milestone, like the opening of embassies in each others' capitals.

There's still a lot of crap floating around from the blustery days. I saw it myself on a Knight-Ridder website the other day, but that masks the real issue, opportunity is here. Microsoft is going to sweep this one. If I let everyone lecture me on how stupid I am, then I let them miss the friggin opportunity to get our respective acts togeher and upgrade people who use our servers and editing tools.

There you go, that about summarizes my POV as of 9:17AM Pacific today.