Re: Email to Brian Behlendorf

Author:Oliver Breidenbach
Posted:4/24/2000; 10:01:37 AM
Topic:Email to Brian Behlendorf

(I decided to comment on The Two Way Web in a different posting, because it has nothing to do with my gripes about Mr. Gates.)

Dave,

I can´t help noticing a striking similarity between what happened with OpenDoc and the way you want to promote the adoption of XML-RPC in that DaveNet piece. I hope you are not offended, because that is not my intend.

You ask for a broad acceptance of XML-RPC for all the right reasons. I understand that you want us all to build a community that aims for open communication standards between applications. You do the smart thing and point out that there are a wide variety of implementations ready today. But I notice that those are technology implementations. Scripting languages. The only real world working model is Pike and Manila. Few people can extrapolate all the other benefits from this single example which shows how writers can benefit. How is an accountant going to benefit? How is a corporation going to benefit? A doctor, a carpenter, a musician? In my view, you have no choice but expand the reach of the examples. The more ground one can cover, the more people will listen.

At this point, maybe a lot of developers understand the concept and the benefits. But they will wait until the early adopters caught the bloddy noses. And that is what is similar to OpenDoc.

Cheers,

Oliver.