Re: Email to Brian Behlendorf

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:4/24/2000; 10:07:24 AM
Topic:Email to Brian Behlendorf

The problem there is that companies like Vignette make their money by selling expensive services to set up and maintain their proprietary CMS packages. For them to allow people to write hooks that are compatible with their packages is not in their best interest. And the same can be said, to some extent, for CMS packages like Frontier and Broadvision.

Speaking on behalf of Frontier, which I can, let me say that I want people to make tools that plug into our CMS. When that happens we'll light a candle and put it on a birthday cake, our goal of compatibility will be achieved.

The second candle will go on the cake when that tool can be used with another CMS, thereby completely factoring our UserLand's products. You will see that I have a philosophy of openness which goes a lot further than people have been willing to believe. I've said it over and over. Sometimes a picture helps.

http://scriptingnews.userland.com/pictures/viewer$520

You may have to squint to read it, the contrast and brightness are not so great, but the philosophy is clear. When Edd Dumbill at xml.com saw this he said it made an impression on him.

Replaceable components. Lots of vendors. Not just Microsoft.