Open services talk

Author:Andrew Wooldridge
Posted:5/10/2000; 10:37:40 AM
Topic:Open services talk

It would be so cool if I could have an ETP site with it's own xml-rpc api that I develop, say similar to the site hierarchy format (in that it's xml) and I could post, instead of stories, xml-rpd's which define an interface and the code (perhaps usertalk, js, or something else) and then ETP could become an application server as well!

Say I post an xml-rpd (remote procedure definition) of a way to create tables via some argument. You get as a return via the xml-rpc call a nicely formatted table in html. Then say joe at his ETP site saw this nice webdjet and used it in his own to create a calendar - built on top of it. Then say sara decided to use this on her ETP site as her personal calendar, via some macro call.

Then say travelocity, who is outside the framework, learns of this calendar and it's xml-rpc api. They set up a service where when you book tickets, it automatically sends an RPC call to your personal calendar and adds the plane trip dates.

gee, someday ...