Archive of UserLand's first discussion group, started October 5, 1998.
Re: ride the train
Author: David Carter-Tod Posted: 5/18/2000; 5:27:21 AM Topic: scriptingNews outline for 5/17/2000 Msg #: 17374 (In response to 17371) Prev/Next: 17373 / 17375
Italy is indeed a great place to visit. Having lived in Milan for almost a year, I'd recommend it, for a number of reasons:
- Da Vinci's Last Supper - newly restored
- See if can't get to see Inter or Milan play soccer! (not sure if the season's over yet -- might be)
- The Galleria
- The Duomo
- La Scala -- if you line up at the right time you can get in for standing room for dirt cheap.
- Tons of art museums with breathtaking treasures.
- Fun getting around on the trams
Verona is beautiful, as is Parma, Bologna, Florence, Venice -- isn't Carnivale around now? The lakes in the north. The coast near Turin - PortoFino(?) is very attractive. Getting off the beaten track is always rewarding. I never got the chance to see the south, so I can't really comment on that.
Switzerland is alright, but even the log piles are tidy. Austria is okay, but Vienna's a little too imperial for my liking - nice opera though. South of France probably too touristy (that's a problem with Florence and Venice in particular).
I've always been a fan of the Lonely Planet guides.
p.s. of course, as a Brit, I should note that you're welcome there too!
There are responses to this message:
- Re: ride the train, Bryce, 5/18/2000; 10:51:57 AM
- Re: ride the train, Gulliver Foyle, 5/18/2000; 2:34:05 PM
This page was archived on 6/13/2001; 4:55:13 PM.
© Copyright 1998-2001 UserLand Software, Inc.