Re: Open/Closed Source Software

Author:Ron Perrella
Posted:5/27/2000; 1:05:09 PM
Topic:Open/Closed Source Software

Here, here. The need is for open standards and interfaces. I don't care how the interfaces are actually implemented, whether it is open-source or commercial. I will choose the best product based on its conformance to standards and performance. Even if it means paying for it.

Also, there is a real problem with giving up on commercial software development of "commodity" products. Telling somebody "you've got the source, you fix it!" is not an acceptable customer service policy for most people. And, what constitutes a commodity? Where do you draw the line?