Is WAP the Web ?

Author:Tom Fuerstner
Posted:5/31/2000; 9:37:38 AM
Topic:Is WAP the Web ?

For months i'm convinced that Frontier is definitely one of the best tools in town concerning WAP-Application-Development. For this reason i 've built a very special WAP-odb that integrates fine with every kind of mainresponder related code.

first i started to reimplement Andrès WAP-code so that it works with german letters and implemented a regex codeline that translates html-tags into wml-tags. e.g.: you can call the frontpage of our weblog at http://www.zkm.de and you can call exactly the same piece of content using your WAP-Handy at http://on1.zkm.de/zkm/wap/default . Although we use al ot of Graphics and special character-code translating it all into wml works painless and smooth.

Because i hate the fact to be forced to use just the portal of my hany-service provider i implemented a special webinterface at http://on1.zkm.de/wap/wap/signin where you can define for yourself a simple login-Usename and PIN-code you can use through HTML and WML the same way (keep both as simple as possible). logging in for the first time you are presented with a simple webform where you can create and delete your own wml- or WAP-links the following way. field one contains the linkname and the second field contains the exact wml-URL e.g. : ZKM; http://on1.zkm.de/zkm/wap/default so , if you want to call your personal WAP-Portal define http://on1.zkm.de/wap/wap/wml/check as the startURL of your WAP-Handy and la voila you have your own independant WAP-Portal

finally i implemented a small form for html and wml where i can define simple frontier-agents that run periodically or at a certain time. This way i use WAP-Devices as a kind of Universal-Remote-Control-Device where i can view the status of my agents, start them, stop them or kill them. it works that useful that NOKIA is actually sponsoring our work.

by , Tom Fuerstner by Tom