Re: Where to find the Jim Allchin memos?

Author:Bryce
Posted:6/18/2000; 2:14:09 PM
Topic:Where to find the Jim Allchin memos?

Thanks Dave. It does appear more nefarious than not. I'm still straddling the fence on this one. Yes, it's bad, heavy handed, and according to the Judge, illegal. OTOH, there was plausable and actual consumer benefit.

It would be interesting to know how things would have played out if Netscape and Microsoft hadn't been so desperate to own the browser market. Netscape's policy of giving the product away and charging for it later forced quite a few other NCSA/Spyglass Mosaic licensees with interesting products to abandon the market. Mosaic is what really changed the world, and Navigator took the credit.

As laughable as it may sound, I do worry about Microsoft losing it's ability to "innovate." The Internet integration features in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 are powerful, and have made the 'net truly ubiquitous for users of those operating systems. I don't think that any other vendor could have delivered such integration to these platforms.

The other OS players haven't even started to play catch-up yet. Are they even paying attention? Do they have a clue as to the power that IE provides beyond simple web browsing?

-Bryce