Re: Epiphany

Author:Alan German
Posted:7/21/2000; 10:03:47 PM
Topic:Re: Epiphany

When you're working on writing tools, that's how you test them. You always need a phrase to test with.

When I was in the professional sound business (this Napster craze has me reminiscing), we always had to do the obligatory "microphone check."

Most of us used the word "test" (we wanted to hear those 'esses') and any other words containing 'test' (often of a male hormonal and glandular nature), but the boss always recited a poem. I never asked him what the title of it was, or who wrote it (well, if I did ask, it's long been forgotten) but I could always remember the first few lines, which I often use for a test phrase:

James James
Morrison Morrison
Weatherby George Dupree
Took great
Care of his Mother,
Though he was only three.

One day, 25 years later, it dawned on me to search the internet for the text and now I know that this is the poem Disobedience, by A. A. Milne:

http://www.crocker.com/~slinberg/poems/milne/disobedience.html

Oh sure, I could have figured this out years ago. I don't know why I didn't. Go figure. But this poem's tacked on my bulletin board now. I'm memorizing it.

Just in case I need to do a sound check. ;-)