Re: Java vs MS Common Runtime

Author:Timothy O'Hear
Posted:7/24/2000; 4:14:41 PM
Topic:Java vs MS Common Runtime

>> what's the chance of MS's runtime being available on other >> platforms. Mac? Linux? > I put the probability at 0.

They have IE on the Mac though and I imagine that future versions *could* include the common runtime.

>> Can Sun eventually succeed in delivering a platform that runs >> reliably on a variety of systems? > No, but it's not necessary for them to; as long as we're talking > about Java 1.1 there are credible implementations among those > available from Sun, IBM, and Apple.

Is it the case that you can currently develop a reasonably complex Java (client-side) application on one system (Windows) and expect it to run on the others with good performance and reliability (Mac, Linux)? I've been very unimpressed with Java apps so far (the Forte IDE geing the most recent example). I also remember that at JavaOne Jobs & McNealy made a big thing about apologizing for how poor the current Apple Java VM is and promised things would get better "soon"...

> We're not yet at the point where the most worthwhile things the > Internet can do involve dynamically loading code across the > Internet, but it would be foolhardy to presume that that will > continue not to be the case over the next 5-10 years.

Probably the aspect that got me the most excited about the whole MS Common Runtime thing : based on previous MS frameworks, virtual machines and compilers I feel that they have a good chance of providing a great solution for dynamically loading code onto *Windows* machines. If their solution is reliable and performant then it could succeed in providing client apps where Java (as far as I can tell) has so far failed.

-- tim