Re: Java vs MS Common Runtime

Author:Timothy O'Hear
Posted:7/24/2000; 4:23:27 PM
Topic:Java vs MS Common Runtime

> Seems likely if MS sticks to its plans for making their runtime > an ECMA standard

Somehow I managed to miss that with the main focus in the news on the C# standard. But the ecma site confirms it -- I can almost believe it...

http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/NEWS/NEWS.HTM

Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) This single, rich language infrastructure supports C# and (optionally) ECMAScript and other modern languages.

The CLI effort would include specification of the following: * A common set of datatypes used across all supported programming languages * A standard XML-based declarative syntax for specifying objects, methods, and datatypes * A small set of base classes that provide language support and basic application portability * A common intermediate language format for code download and execution, along with metadata that describes the requirements and capabilities of the code * A common code verification and execution model with capability limitations depending on context