Re: New Generation?

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:7/24/2000; 9:45:11 PM
Topic:New Generation?

If it is available, free and not considered stealing by the surrounding culture, then why not?

Now, granting that "stealing" is a vaguer concept than it used to be (I've already admitted that with regret), the ongoing debate about Napster and MP3, among other things, is whether it really is stealing or not.

It is scarcely surprising that many choose not to go without in this cultural context.

Regrettably, we seem to lack both the economic, technical and, indeed, ethical foundations required to fairly and wisely redefine value (price), property (intellectual ownership) and, certainly having or going without ..... but the calendar won't wait for us to acquire such wisdom.

We live in interesting times.

aka HeadDuffer
duffer.editthispage.com
bookmark.editthispage.com