Pike as a platform

Author:Will Conant
Posted:7/25/2000; 10:45:21 AM
Topic:Naming the new app

I was playing around with the concept of web-services, so I wrote a bulkmail application that was simply an XML-RPC server. Being in need of a client, but without much time on my hands, I just downloaded Pike, opened the database in frontier, and added a few menu items to connect to my server.

The experiment worked beautifully.

My question is this: will Pike (whatever it ends up being named) be released as a platform for third party developers? Frontier is such a great platform, but I need a compelling reason to devlop for it... distribution would be that reason.

(keep in mind that I'm not considering the business impact on UserLand... i'm probably overlooking all sorts of things.)