Re: Java vs MS Common Runtime

Author:Timothy O'Hear
Posted:7/26/2000; 3:12:49 PM
Topic:Java vs MS Common Runtime

And having just gotten free of being a captive Apple developer, I certainly didn't want to sign up for being a Sun developer, whose rep was even worse than Apple for blowing off developers.

Though to the untrained eye being captive to Java seems less scary than being captive to MacOS. Nowadays, with IBM's involvement and the numerous IDEs and VMs it seems fairly open (bar a "proper" standard).

and the only way that ordinary developers could work with Java was to convert all our code to Java. Porting is one of the most senseless wastes of time, we would have had to really believed that there was no other way to the market.

Do you feel that the MS Common Runtime will offer a better solution in terms of being captive to a particular company, as well as reuse/integration of existing code?