RIAA & the copy protection dongle saga

Author:Kevin Miller
Posted:7/26/2000; 8:25:04 PM
Topic:RIAA & the copy protection dongle saga

The RIAA's efforts against Napster reminds me of the early days of the PC industry, when software came with all sorts of onerous copy protection schemes -- hardware keys that had to plugged into ports, original disks that had to be stuck into floppy drives, etc. That ended, I believe, because the paying customers wouldn't put up with it.

If the paying customers put up with the RIAA's actions, then we deserve what we get. But I don't intend to do that. I intend to avoid purchasing CDs from RIAA member companies until they stop putting obstacles in the way of convenient access to music over the internet.

The next question is -- how can I find companies that don't participate in that effort and reward them?