Discussion Group Fragmentation

Author:Ralph Hempel
Posted:7/31/2000; 8:49:45 AM
Topic:Discussion Group Fragmentation

Dave (and other Userlanders)

I love the idea of radio.userland but personally can't listen to music while I work. That and the lack of high-speed Internet here in the boonies keeps me from using Napster more frequently.

The real point of this note, though is that I was going to comment on a topic in radio.userland that I felt that it might be of value to all of userland - specifically a comment on why Dave wold persist in flogging Frontier in the face of a real cash loss.

Anyways, I bemoaned the fact that the discussion groups within userland don't seem to be heirachical - like an outline. I should be able to "subscribe" to the diiscussion heirarchy at multiple points to be able to filter stuff I might be interested in.

This is not a big deal when you have only a few groups, but userland will grow. Look at radio.userland - probably two months from conception to birth, and the next one will probably be shorter.

Not one to criticize without providing a better (IMHO) model, I'd invite everyone to look at <http://www.lugnet.com> a LEGO enthusiast website I've mentioned before. Check out the heirarchical newsfeed/email/web browsable discussion lists and you'll get an immediate sense of how powerful this discussion group software is.

In fact, it is so easy to use that you don't even see it - now that's an elegant design.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng.